The opening of the Moscow Public and Rumyantsev Museum in 1862 significantly stimulated the collecting activities of Muscovites, many of whom came from a merchant environment. By the opening of the Museum in 1862, the Hermitage transferred to its collection two hundred paintings by Western European masters, however, during the existence of the Museum (a little more than fifty years), its picture gallery was significantly enriched by the gifts of private individuals.in 1924, the picture gallery of the Rumyantsev Museum almost completely passed to the GMII. The Italian school, which occupied two of the six exhibition halls of the Museum, was represented mainly by paintings of painters of the XVII-XVIII centuries. The works of such masters as Guercino, Pietro da Cortona, Alessandro Turki, Paolo Pagani, Luca Giordano, can now be seen in the Museum. Continue reading
Speaking of luxury gifts it is impossible to ignore the paintings, which at all times were presented as significant gifts for the most important events. In the past, the picture as a gift was not available to everyone, but only to a select few. Painting was ordered from famous masters, especially portraits were in demand.
Paintings in the houses of the nobility added significance to their owners. Sometimes the artists ordered paintings with a pre-agreed plot in order to make a certain “right” impression on the guests. The plot of the picture, filled with symbols and clues, could tell a lot about the house and its owners. Continue reading