WE FIND DIFFERENT GENRES AND STYLES IN MODERN PAINTING
ABOUT STYLES AND DIRECTIONS OF PAINTING
Everyone is familiar with realism and abstractionism – two polar styles of fine art, contrasting the objective and non-objective. And what is between them? Today, there are a huge number of styles and directions, which are replenished with new ones as the art develops.
Immediately is to say that to understand or to navigate the styles is beyond the scope of this article. This format encyclopedias and textbooks on the history of art.
But there is always the opportunity to get advice about a particular direction of painting in the galleries where the sale of paintings. If you plan to buy paintings directly from the artist, the author will clearly talk about his style and technique.
It is curious that the most popular in the world and popular style is impressionism. In Russia, preference is given to realism.
ABOUT GENRES OF PAINTING.
To understand the genres of fine art is not difficult, because the genre indicates what is depicted in the picture. In a simplified presentation, the following most common genres can be identified:
– If the picture of nature in all its diversity-we have a landscape (forest, sea, mountain…), the image of the area with buildings gives rise to urban, rural, architectural landscape.
– If the paintings bouquets of flowers, dishes, fruit or stationery-a genre of still life.
– The image of a person, a person, a group of people is called a portrait genre. Portrait, in turn, has many subspecies, such as-parade, group, self-portrait…
– In the genre of Nudes portrayed nudity.
– Caricature-a satirical depiction of a person or event. A good caricature is a caricature.
– The image of the animal world-animalism or animalism.
– The historical genre involves the depiction of an important historical event or mythological, biblical story.
– Battle genre is dedicated to military actions, battles, victories.
– Household genre or simply “genre painting” depicts scenes of everyday life.
The division into genres is always conditional, because the picture can contain elements of several styles.
It is customary to divide paintings of different genres according to their purpose. For example, still lifes are usually placed in dining rooms and living rooms, while Nudes – in the bedrooms.
Working rooms are traditionally decorated with portraits, seascapes, battle paintings. And children’s rooms-paintings with fairy-tale stories.
But rules exist, as we know, in order to break them. Originally will look still life in the hallway, and a picture in the Nude – in the bathroom.
The main thing is to buy a picture that will appeal to you with its message, originality, mood.