THE MOST EXPENSIVE PAINTINGS SOLD IN THE WORLD IN 2013.
The past year is remembered for several high-profile auctions and impressive amounts of sales.
1. November 12, 2013 at Christie’s auction easily went under the hammer the work of Francis Bacon Triptych “Three sketches for the portrait of Lucien Freud” for 142 million us dollars and became the most expensive painting ever sold at auction. It is noteworthy that the auction lasted only 6 minutes.
The painting was painted by the artist at king’s College London in 1969. The author posed close friend and colleague – English artist Lucien Freud.
The work was put up for sale by a collector from Europe, the name of the buyer is also not disclosed
2. Andy Warhol – ” silver car Crash.” Sold at auction in new York for $ 105 million, 13.11.2013
The work is 4 x 2.4 meters in size and consists of two parts. On one of them 15 photos of the car twisted as a result of collision with a tree are placed. The second part is an abstract work that had not been exhibited for 13 years before.
3. The works of the Spanish master Pablo Picasso arouse the constant interest of art lovers. The painting “Woman sitting by the window” was created in 1932 and is dedicated to the “Golden Muse” of the artist – Marie-Therese Walter. Over the years, this lady inspired the artist to create many of his works. The painting was sold at Sotheby’s on February 6, 2013 via telephone auction for $ 44.9 million.
4. Amedeo Modigliani’s painting “Portrait of Jeanne hébuterne” is also a love story. In the portrait the artist depicted his beloved and Muse – artist Jeanne Uboutin. The work was written shortly before Modigliani’s death. The loss of a loved one was unbearable for a woman. Unable to cope with her grief, she threw herself out of the window while pregnant with their second child. The painting sold at Christie’s auction on February 6, 2013 for $ 42 million. The name of the buyer is not known.
5. Fra Bartolomeo’s “Madonna and child” written on the Board was sold at Christie’s auction on January 30, 2013 for $ 13 million. This is a record amount for the paintings of the artist.